Monday, April 23, 2012

Drop Cloth Curtains!

The use of canvas drop cloths to make curtains is nothing new. It has been all over blogland for as few years, BUT it hasn't been to my house yet! Has it been to yours? I have been looking at beautiful fabric swatches to use to make curtains and to upholster my chairs. However, being the poor person I am at the moment, it is unrealistic to expect to get this room complete in 2012 if I have to try and save up enough money to match my decorating tastes to my decorating funds! Sooo I have been looking at alternatives. One answer is to make curtains out of drop cloths. I have searched through many many blogs and have amassed a collection of pictures. I think I have found a solution that will #1 Fit my budget and #2 Allow me to buy some of that beautiful fabric I have been drooling over.  Here is the picture that inspired me:


It all started with paint

I like the use of patterned fabric together with the drop cloth. The ribbon gives it a nice finished looking accent. I can use the fabric to make some pillows. I think this can work. Of course, I have read of some DIY disasters with drop cloths, and have come away with some sage advice. First off, wash your drop cloth. Some people wash it several times to soften it up and shrink it to its most shrinkable self. !This is to ensure that once you have these beautiful curtains hanging in your room for a while and they need a good washing, they don't shrink into miniature curtains!)  Several people suggested bleaching them. This obviously lightens them. The other advice I found was to also soak them in hydrogen peroxide (3%), as this neutralizes the bleach, and stops the chemical reaction from continuing after the fabric is washed. There are so many pretty fabrics to choose from. I had been limiting myself to those under $10/yard, but since I am now going from needing 10 yards to 2, I can spend a few more dollars per yard and STILL save tons of money! So before I go off to have fun at Fabric.com and  onlinefabrics.com, I will leave you with some pictures of drop cloth curtains!

Triangle honeymoon

I love these. They are stenciled with fabric paint. Lots of work, but well worth it!

Here is another creative approach. She used a sharpie and wrote Robert Frost poems across the curtains!

DIY Showoff

Here is another great look. Strips of fabric were alternated with drop cloth.






A little trim can give the curtain a professional, finished look.
A Soft Place

Have you had any experience making curtains out of drop cloths? Please share and lend any advice you think I might need~ leave a comment!


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the stenciled ones, I've been thinking about drop cloth curtains for a while now and would love to try them. Let us know if you try them and how they turn out.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same situation as you :) I don't have alot of money to spend and love the stencil idea on the drop cloth...I have saved your blog to my favorites for reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drop loth curtains is shared on the post here. Useful post

    ReplyDelete